Modern advancements made in the technology that drives the solar power industry has provided us with a powerful alternative to gas, coal, oil and nuclear powered electricity generation.
Solar photovoltaic panels are now much more efficient than they used to be and can now compete on a cost for cost basis with other forms of energy production.
In areas that have a high level of daily sunshine, installing solar powered electricity generating stations is common sense. These megawatt capable stations are popping up all over parts of the world, with Europe at teh forefrunt of both solar and wind powered electricity generation.
The United States is currently lagging behind the rest of the world in this area, despite it having some of the best locations as far as annual and daily sunshine hours are concerned, although solar stations are gradually being built in dessert areas. Environmentalists would like to see the pace stepped up in this area so that we can throw off the shackles of an oil-driven power mentality that has existed for the past century and become energy self sufficent using renewable sources of energy such as the sun.
If you are interested to know more about solar energy and how it is being used to great advantage in a variety of situations, here is a short list of related websites that cover most topics on this subject that you may find useful:
- Solar Energy International: This website looks at how solar energy is used in a variety of ways and provides training via its ISPQ Accredited Training Program and further education
- Solar Energy Industries Association: This is teh website for the national trade association of the U.S. solar energy industry
- American Solar Energy Society: This is the nation's leading association of solar professionals and advocates whose mission it is to inspire an era of energy innovation and speed the transition to a sustainable energy economy
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory: The website of the federal laboratory dedicated to the research, development, commercialization and deployment of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies
- Science Daily Solar Energy News: Daily updayes and news stories covering many aspects of solar energy production and deployment
- Solar: U.S. Dept of Energy website page concerned with the development and use of renewable solar energy